Saturday, January 5, 2013

" Thank You Jesus!!! Thank You Jesus!!!!! " ...

 

Is what I chanted as I watched the masterfully created Lincoln movie. It was astonishing watching how the 13th amendment was passed and knowing today we have an African American president along with the fact I have many freedoms and liberties my ancestors were denied.  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie although I have to watch it again because some things went over my head. The movie was very "deep" and I feel I missed some important things especially as my mind drifted to how grateful I am to those who fought and died in the civil war fighting for the Union that ultimately changed the trajectory of my destiny. As well as my ancestors who were enslaved.


The thirteenth amendment passed 121 years BC(Before Chriss, lol) and because Abraham Lincoln and the 38th Congress were able to change the constitution to declare slavery shall not exist in the
United States I am able to live life more abundantly. Special acknowledgment goes to abolitionist Congressman James Mitchell Ashley, Congressman Thaddeus Stevens, and many other Republican congressman who were strong advocates for the 13th amendment. To be fair, a few democrats voted Yay, I, or Yes for the passing of the 13th amendment as well according to the movie Lincoln. lol  (Although, real change in racial relations didn't occur to years later thanks to the civil rights movement, that's another story for another time.)

File:James Mitchell Ashley - Brady-Handy.jpg
Abolitionist, Congressman James Ashley

 


 
 
Congressman Thaddeus Stevens
 
 
 

Amendment XIII

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

No comments:

Post a Comment